I think I like Divergent because it is such an action packed book. It has cliff-hangers at the end of every chapter and the book is filled with so many surprises. The main character of my book, Beatrice Prior, has many internal and external conflicts going on in her life that just adds on to the things that are going on around her in her current Dystopian society.
Veronica Roth really knows how to cram the maximum amounts of action, suspense, romance and conflict into one novel. I am currently on a really good cliff-hanger at the end of the chapter. This quote is right after Beatrice comes out of a Dauntless leader's fear landscape and the Dauntless leader's fear turned into her own fear: "Something within me snaps. My tears stop. Heat races through my body, driving the weakness out of me, and I smack him so hard my knuckles burn with the impact. He stares back at me, one side of his face bright with blush-blood, and I stare back," (Roth, 345).
This quote is amazing because it leaves such a cliff-hanger for the reader to ponder about what might happen next if they turn the page! I like how Veronica Roth added the detail in-between the lines 'He stares back at me' and the line 'and I stare back at him.' It just gives the moment more detail for the reader to imagine what is going on. This is why I like Divergent so much.
That seems like a very good book. I love the same chararteristics within a text, and I might just read now.
ReplyDeleteThe best things about books like these is that we are not more than a few misteps away from having a society much like the ones depicted in them; and yet they still make you wonder how their society could possibly come to that.
ReplyDelete