For my blogging book this trimester I am reading the first book in the Divergent Series. The book is so suspenseful so far. The book starts with by explaining a society, where people are split into factions.
Each faction emphasizes a certain trait. Abnegation focuses on selflessness. Abnegation members are the societies volunteers and helping hands. The Dauntless focus on courage. Dauntless are the societies army, protecting the citizens from the mystery of the outside. Candor focuses on honesty, and they usually become lawyers and judges. Apity focuses on peace, and they are artists and musicians. Finally, the Erudite focuses on intelligence, and are the societies' scholars and teachers. The factions were created to resolve the long war that was raging long ago.
The main character is forced to choose a faction. She was born into an Abnegation family, and repeats multiple times throughout the portion I've read that she doesn't belong in Abnegation because she isn't selfless. Her name is Beatrice and she is almost 16, the age you choose a faction. In this quote, Beatrice questions herself belonging to the Abnegation faction: "I shiver, and goose bumps appear on my arms. My curiosity is a mistake, a betrayal of Abnegation values," (Roth, 12). This quote is one example of Beatrice internally knowing she isn't meant for the Abnegation faction.
This book is very suspenseful so far and I am excited to see what faction Beatrice chooses!
No comments:
Post a Comment